The Gamma Upsilon chapter of Sigma Kappa was established at California University of Pennsylvania on November 21, 1959.
The idea for Gamma Upsilon first came about in 1958, when Judy Fields, Marion Faber, and Patricia Gaskill drew up a constitution for a new sorority and decided on the name Eta Tau - however, this was not a national organization at the time. In February, 1959 they decided they wanted to become affiliated with a national chapter. They chose Pi Kappa Sigma, the sorority that Marion Faber had joined while a student at Indiana State Teachers College, now Indiana University of Pennsylvania. That year, however, Pi Kappa Sigma was absorbed by the national organization of Sigma Kappa, and thus, Gamma Upsilon was born. In the college directory for the Spring 1959 Sigma Kappa Triangle, Gamma Upsilon is the first chapter included in a list of chapters to be installed in the fall. This chapter was officially established on November 21, 1959 in the Colonial Room at California State Teacher College in California, Pennsylvania under the presidency of Julie Ann DeVitis from Canonsburg. In 1959, Sigma Kappa Gamma Upsilon became the second national social sorority established at Cal U, the first being Delta Zeta. Since then, we have initiated 963 strong, beautiful ladies and continue to grow each semester, holding primary recruitment every Spring, and Continuous Opening Bidding every fall.